Ok, this week’s GotW was a little hard to come by. For one thing, I was starting to get bored with all those colour matching puzzle games. I thought we needed something to break the monotony. So I dug high and low for a suitable game. It was tough since there aren’t really that many action games that I enjoy (don’t even try to suggest something akin to pong…). Anyway, after 3 days of soul searching and playing nearly a dozen games, here’s the GotW: Granny In Paradise (GIP for short) published by GameHouse (among others).
Granny won a vacation trip to paradise and she brought all her cats with her. Unbeknownst to her, the evil Dr. Meow is out to do her in. While she naps, the Dr.’s minions abduct her furry friends. With gutsy determination, Granny sets out on a mission to save all her cuddly companions. And that’s where you come in.
Game play is solid, as GIP adopts the tried and tested Lode Runner 2D platform game concept, made popular in the early 80’s. In GIP you control Granny using the directional keys as she attempts to rescue her kittens. Using the spacebar digs pitfalls in the earth to trap unsuspecting baddies that are out to get her. A combination of good reflexes and quick thinking is required in this fast paced platform action game.
Play through 5 game worlds and over 170 levels in this fun and addictive game. Use special items to help you get through each level (bombs to blow through walls, watering cans to nurture plants to gain access to otherwise inaccessible platforms, umbrellas to slow your fall, etc). As you progress, the game maps get more complex and you’re faced with more enemies (both types and numbers) which gives the game more variety and urgency. Your game progress is saved automatically, so even if you lose all your lives, you’ll still be able to continue from where you left off.
The graphics are excellent, with elaborate backdrops and character animations. Soundtrack is easy on the ears and adds to the overall game experience. Granny is also armed with a slew of witty one liners that will draw at the very least an amused smile when you first hear them (a memorable being “See you later, crocodile”). Additional features include a built in map editor, so if you ever get bored of the existing maps, you can create your own and challenge your family and friends to complete them. There’s also an online global hi score so you can show off your achievements to the world.
Some tips to help you through the game:
- There are flowers planted throughout each level. Each flower you find gives you 1 heart. Find all the flowers and the bonus flower to get 20 bonus hearts. Collect 100 hearts for an extra life.
- You move faster than most of the baddies. So don’t panic when being chased. Try to outrun them.
- It takes a while to dig a hole. Make sure you’ve got enough distance between you and the minions before attempting to do so.
- The game map consists of blocks. Holes can only be dug in sand blocks. Note that you need to be properly alligned to the block to dig. If you’re misalligned, the hole will just fill up again. Be careful especially when enemies are about.
- DON’T jump. Use the stairs. Although we may be tempted to jump thinking that it is faster, that action is actually slower because of the recovery time after landing. Use stairs or vines whenever possible.
Obviously, 1 hour is just not enough to see the more interesting bits of the game. So here’s how to get a little extra (refer to Boredworkers.com’s GotW - Granny In Paradise for th recommended downloads):
- Download both the recommended files
- Install the game
- Uncompressed the contents of the crack archive
- Inside will be another archive containing a file called “Granny2Res.dll”
- Copy that file to the game installation directory (replacing the original file)
- Start up the game and you’re good to go
So stand back superman, iceman, spider-man, batman, robiin too. Supergran’s comin’ thru!
The author does not condone piracy. If you find that you enjoy the game after playing it for a bit, do purchase the license. Good work should be given its due.
- Granny In Paradise: Splash -
- Granny In Paradise: Main Menu -
- Granny In Paradise: Granny’s Quest -
- Granny In Paradise: Game Map -
- Granny In Paradise: Wootsies! -
- Granny In Paradise: Boohoo! -
- Granny In Paradise: Come Back And Play Anytime -
- Granny In Paradise: Online High Scores! Hello World! -
Site Updates (mostly GotW)
Cabbage Soup Diet: Day 1 - Soup & Fruits
Cabbage Soup Diet: Day 3 - Soup, Vegetables & Fruits
Launch: Boredworkers.com’s Game Of The Week
Game Of The Year (GotY) 2005